Ajax Fire warns of candle safety after house fire


Published March 2, 2022 at 1:01 pm

A recent house fire in Ajax sparked by a candle has the local fire department warning residents about candle safety.

The house fire broke out February 22 in Ajax’s Taunton Road and Westney Road area. Firefighters found an active structural blaze on arrival and began work to extinguish it.

Later investigation found the blaze was caused by a lit candle left unattended in an ensuite bathroom. No one was harmed in the fire.

The blaze led Ajax Fire and Emergency Services to release a series of safety tips regarding the use of candles. Firstly, never use candles in an area one may fall asleep.

Secondly, make sure candles are kept in on a stable surface or holder to prevent them falling over. A glass or hurricane chimney should also be placed over the candle to control the flame.

Ajax Fire advises residents to always keep lit candles out of reach from children or pets and to keep any combustible materials, such as towels, clothes and home decor away from the flame.

“When you go out, blow out,” Ajax Fire said. Always be sure to extinguish a candle’s flame when leaving a room. They also advise the use of battery operated flameless, candle-esque lights instead of traditional candles.

Ajax Fire also took this opportunity to remind residents of the essential nature of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors.

Smoke alarms are required on all levels of a home and outside all sleeping areas. They should be tested every month, and their batteries should be replaced yearly. One should replace their smoke alarms entirely every ten years.

CO detectors are also required outside every sleeping area in a home with a fuel burning appliance, like fireplaces, or with an attached garage. The lifespan of CO detectors varies by manufacturer, but they typically last between five and seven years.

“Fire can happen anywhere, at any time. Most often, it strikes when we let our guard down. It is imperative that you keep candles away from anything that can burn. If you use real candles please remember to blow them out when you leave the room,” Shelley Langer, Ajax Fire Prevention Inspector.

indurham's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising